lichess.org
Donate

HWC 2023 Preparation and voting!

Hi everyone! I am the 2023 Horde World Championship host. To decide on some details I will use this forum.

now then! Here are some questions.

1- Should we keep the HWC time control 2+2 or make it 3+2?

2- Should we keep the HWC Double elimination best of ten or should we make it single elimination with the first player to win two best of six matches going through?

3- What should we make the tie breaks?

thanks everyone! This is not a poll however I want to know what everyone thinks :-)
1- 2+2, the starting position is winning for black; the more time to think the more time for black to make precise moves leaving white with less chances.

2- Don't really care but I say keep it best of ten for entertainment purposes :)

3- maybe change the time format to 1+1 and play until one player is ahead by 2 points
Hi !
I personally vote for a 3+2 HWC , would be cooler in my opinion and better in head to head matches , don't have anything to say though about the rest .
I believe 1+1, 2+1, 3+1 are well balanced. For a world championship format, 3+1 is appropriate. This is superior to both 2+2 or 3+2.

Black is not so much better in horde, even if winning by force. Still it is easier to play due its apparent power. Horde remains more balanced than say, atomic or antichess.

If I had to choose between 2+2 or 3+2 I would say 3+2 but then the thing is wildecats will win the tournament :))
1. 3+1 > 3+2 > 2+2
2. Best of 10, if score is 5-5 then keep playing until someone is ahead by 2 points...
3. Keep playing (same time control) until someone is ahead by 2 points
I don't have a strong preference among the time controls that have been mentioned. But I do like 10-game matches, with several 2-game mini-matches as tiebreaks. It would feel wrong for a match to be decided by the drawing of colors (although I'm not opposed to playing armageddon as a last resort).
We have had a clear majority of people wanting a best-of-ten double-elimination tournament so that is officially decided!

The two remaining questions are. What should the time control be, and what should the tiebreaker be?

3+2, 3+1, and 2+2 are the options for time control that I am going to consider.

The tie breaks will be best of two matches. It seems everyone likes them and they go pretty well in the LFT Horde championship that I host :-)
@ravif if u require a +2 score rule so that 7-5 wins but 6-5 does not win (even though its called best of 10), that should take care of the lopsided color issue i think?

i feel like that should be right?

if player a is white against player b with black, and black wins every game, i guess there will never be a +2 difference

also the colors will be even before it reaches the point of 5-5 i guess, but i could be wrong and you are the math whiz

or does it create a situation where the person starting with black has an advantage because they just have to win one white game once they are at 6-5? whereas the other person has to win a white and then the next black after
@Kofeynya said in #8:
> @ravif if u require a +2 score rule so that 7-5 wins but 6-5 does not win (even though its called best of 10), that should take care of the lopsided color issue i think?
>
> i feel like that should be right?
>
> if player a is white against player b with black, and black wins every game, i guess there will never be a +2 difference
>
> also the colors will be even before it reaches the point of 5-5 i guess, but i could be wrong and you are the math whiz
>
> or does it create a situation where the person starting with black has an advantage because they just have to win one white game once they are at 6-5? whereas the other person has to win a white and then the next black after

Ahoy! The concept of best of two matches basically allows for you only to win a match 2-0 or 1.5-0.5 if you want to see how this works, the format is used in the Fide World cup :-) although if you tie I think it's 8-8 in that event you go to best of one games I don't think I will go for that though and instead I will stick to best of two

so a 6-5 would never win but a 6.5-5.5 is a win if it is tied 6-6 another best of two would be played and someday someone will win lol :)
it is sinamon's format from last year only he stopped the +2 rule after 6 games and after that required an armageddon iirc but i forgot the specifics

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.